July 17, 2015 at 8:39 am #8208ThanksInAdvanceParticipant
I have been getting contradictory results from my Herpes testing over the past month. It’s been quite an emotional rollercoaster. I wanted to get clarification from you and possibly some help in getting the Western Blot test.
Here is my timeline:
I dated a girl from March 2015 to June 2015. Our last sexual encounter was on June 6th. We had unprotected sex for most of the relationship. Neither of us has ever had any outbreaks or symptoms. We had no reason to believe either of us had oral or genital herpes.
On June 30th, she was tested and a week later it returned positive for HSV-2. I don’t know what her index number was.
On July 2nd, I was tested and it returned positive for HSV-2. My index number was 1.82. I was not tested for HSV-1 (Kind of frustrating they didn’t test for that since I checked the box at planned parenthood for “herpes” testing, yet they only tested for HSV-2. Apparently I’m supposed to ask for the HSV-1 test directly).
Because of my low index number, and the fact that I’ve never had symptoms motivated me to get another test. So on July 15th, I took the BioKit test and it returned NEGATIVE.
Again, neither of us ever experienced any symptoms, for both oral or genital herpes. Which I understand doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t have it, but it still means there’s a chance I don’t.
It’s possible that I contracted it during our last encounter on June 6th, and that’s why I had a low positive result. Seems unlikely to me, but possible.
I also read that if someone gets any type of positive index number, they can go ahead and get the Western Blot right away. They don’t have to wait the recommended 3-4 months to get an accurate test. Is that true?
- This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by ThanksInAdvance.
July 17, 2015 at 2:23 pm #8211Terri WarrenKeymaster
Yes, we would recommend that the 1.82 get confirmation by western blot. If you had sex with her in June, you are too early to do the test, since we know she has HSV 2 (or maybe we don’t, she could be a false positive also) and you could have been infected. However, the face that you last test was negative is a very good sign. You could do one more test before the 4 month waiting period is up and see what that is, also.
July 17, 2015 at 2:32 pm #8212ThanksInAdvanceParticipant
If I got another test before the 4 month waiting period is up, which test would you recommend? Should I repeat the first test and see if the index number has changed or could I just do another BioKit test?
July 18, 2015 at 7:42 am #8216Terri WarrenKeymaster
You could repeat the ELISA testing or do the Biokit – either one. Or you could get a western blot. If the ELISA is negative, I think you should feel reassured. If it is positive, I would recommend confirmatory testing.
You must register to ask your own question or be logged in to reply to this question.