September 29, 2015 at 10:33 pm #9732
I recently received test results (blood) that indicated I have both HSV1 and HSV2, however I have never had any symptoms of either type of HSV, except for maybe a rare appearance of a canker sore back in high school. I haven’t had a pap result that would corroborate these results either. I asked to be retested the following week, which was on Sept 2nd, and to my horror I received another positive test result that was slightly higher than my test results from that previous week. My doctor/NP did advise me to wait 3 months between my first results from August 24th, however I couldn’t imagine waiting that long and thought that it had to be a fluke. Is that standard to wait for that amount of time between tests?
8/24/15: HSV1: 1.38 HSV2:2.89
9/2/15: HSV2: 3.1 (opted of retesting for HSV1)
The last time I was tested (blood) was almost 3 years ago and both of my HSV tests came back negative. It had been 10 months since I had sex with my previous partner and I had been with my current partner of 3 yrs for at least 6 months at that point, so that would have given plenty of time for any antibodies to develop and show up for that test. I am in a committed relationship and neither of us have been unfaithful to each other. My boyfriend was also recently tested and his results were a definite NEGATIVE (.19) Would it be safe to assume that my tests are false positives? Is it possible to have two false positive test results within that amount of time?
I have had shingles before when I was in high school. Which raises another question: Why would the test come back negative 3 yrs ago with my history of shingles? I also have a form of cancer called Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma (CTCL). I was formerly diagnosed via a skin biopsy about 4 to 5 yrs ago. I’m not sure if this could have affected my results since it is connected with my immune system. I plan on speaking with my dermatologist about this as well. Also, my initial reason for visiting my OBGYN was due to menstrual irregularity issues for the past 2-3 months prior to my visit (June- August). I’m grabbing for straws, but could this have effected my results?
Thank you for your time,
September 30, 2015 at 5:06 pm #9746
You mention that your current partner tests negative for HSV 2, what about the partner before that? Do you know anything about their status?
Your index value for HSV 2 is still in the range that needs confirmatory testing to rule out a false positive on this test. You need a herpes western blot and we can arrange that for you through the clinic if that would be helpful. It is the gold standard test, and the CDC STD treatment guidelines of 2015 even recommend that for someone with your index value. I don’t believe you are grabbing at straws at all.
I am not aware of any relationship between CTCL and a false positive herpes test but that is a condition with which I am only vaguely acquainted.
Please get a western blot to clarify this result – it is very important that you do.
September 30, 2015 at 5:30 pm #9751
I unfortunately do not know his status, however wouldn’t my test from three years ago have given me a positive result if he gave it to me? If not why would I have received a false negative result? Do you think I should contact my ex? I’m also not sure when I would be able to get the western blot test done due to the cost and my boyfriend and I are still having unprotected sex….. Should I just start a treatment as if I have genital herpes?
September 30, 2015 at 6:02 pm #9757
You’re right, looking back at the timing, it would have already shown up.
If you can’t get the western blot right now then I hope your current partner will at least test. If he is positive, then you don’t need to take daily medicine if you are both positive. If he won’t get tested, then you could take daily medicine, but all points to him being infected (and likely infecting you) in which case you don’t need medicine if your concern is transmission.
September 30, 2015 at 7:08 pm #9764
My current bf was already tested last week (9/24/15 I think) and was NEGATIVE for both HSV1 and HSV2. It was a really low score of .19 for HSV2 and mine was on the higher end of the false positive range. I have not been with anyone else since I have been with my current bf, so my test results are extremely perplexing to me. Should I still consider the Western Blot or just wait the 3 months and get retested? I’m considering going to a different clinic to be retested before the 3 months, but I’m not sure what difference that will make. I’m also going to speak with my dermatologist and maybe get some blood work with them as well to see if my CTCL could have had an affect on my results. What other steps would you suggest I take, outside the Western Blot, do you think I should take with this current status?
September 30, 2015 at 7:49 pm #9770
So there was another partner between your current partner and your negative herpes test previously, is that right?
Since your current partner is negative, I would strongly suggest a western blot now. You don’t need to wait for any possible new infection seroconversion so that’s not an obstacle. Our clinic can order that to be drawn at a Quest lab near you or you can order the test kit from the University of Washington directly. Then you will ask your provider to draw your blood, spin it down and ship the blood back to UW. Either one works, but you need to know for sure what is going on here.
You must register to ask your own question or be logged in to reply to this question.