Firstly, I really appreciate the work you do. It has helped my life significantly.
Anyway, I was diagnosed with GHSV1 around 6 months ago. I am a male so I am keen to understand the transmission rates to women. Can you please break down the following:
1) Male to female without anti viral and condoms
2) Male to female with condoms but without anti viral
3) Male to female with both condoms and anti viral
4) Female’s chance of oral herpes if she performs unprotected oral sex on me.
5) Female’s chance of oral herpes if she performs protected oral sex on me.
My final question is that I am on the verge of dating a new woman, but I havent told her about my GHSV1. How do you think I approach the conversation and tell her? I am extremely nervous as she is close to my family and she will be the first person I ever tell about this apart from the woman who gave it to me.
I’m sorry we do not have transmission rates for genital HSV 1.
In terms of disclosing: I think you would simply say “before we become sexually active, there is something I need to tell you” and then tell her. Also stress that people who already test positive for HSV 1 or have any history of cold sores are extremely unlikely to acquire this in a new location and that it recurs and sheds far less frequently than HSV 2. You can read the herpes handbook on this website and use the same telling strategies as for HSV 2 with these important differences.
You must register to ask your own question or be logged in to reply to this question.