September 5, 2021 at 8:37 pm #74773JollyRogerParticipant
I get tested for all major STDs twice a year, and have been negative for HSV 1 & 2 until very recently.
I was screened for HSV 2 using the Elisa IgG and the results were negative on 5/19/21 (my results for HSV 1 & 2 had always been negative up to this point).
I received unprotected oral & had unprotected intercourse on 6/27 with one partner. I received unprotected oral & had unprotected intercourse on 7/24 with a different partner. I began experiencing painful urination & the need to frequently urinate beginning on 7/27/21 (three days after the last partner, and one month after the 6/27 partner). These symptoms subsided after 3 days.
I did another multi-STD panel which included HSV 1 & 2 via HSV IgG Type Specific AB on 7/28/21, and I received a negative HSV 2 result of <0.90 on 7/30/21; however, my HSV 1 result was at 1.54 on this date.
I decided to follow-up with a HSV Type 1 & 2 DNA QN Real Time PCR and receive <100 negative results for both on 08/06/21.
I followed up with another HSV 1 & 2 IgG Type Specific AB on 09/04/21 and received my results today on 09/05/21.
HSV 1 = 1.68H
HSV 2 = 16.10H
I spoke with my partner from 6/27 and they made me aware that they have not experienced symptoms and confirmed a negative screening as of 08/01/21.
My main question is what is the likelihood of an individual going from <0.90 to 16.10 on an HSV 2 IgG screening in ~36 days?
I was proactive in getting the WB shipped to me because of the HSV 1 values; however, I’m curious about the most recent HSV 2 results spiking so high in the time period in which it did.
Should I wait to initiate the WB until 12 weeks after the most recent probable exposure (7/24/21)?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
September 8, 2021 at 11:31 pm #74810Terri WarrenKeymaster
That is definitely quite a jump and likely indicates a new infection. Have you been in touch with the partner from 7/24? If possible, you should offer to get them tested. Did you have any symptoms genitally at all?
Yes, I would suggest that you wait until 12 weeks have passed since the July encounter to do the blot.
I supposed that it is possible to get an index value that high in almost 5 weeks, not common,but possible, yes.
The PCR from blood is not appropriate – the PCR looks for virus, not antibody and herpes is rarely in blood.
You must register to ask your own question or be logged in to reply to this question.