November 2, 2020 at 8:26 pm #71634
July 13th I got my HSV results back with: Negative IgG/IgM HSV-1 and Positive/Abnormal IgG for HSV-2 with a Negative IgM for HSV-2. I did not receive index values. I re-did the test again and got my results on July 21st with the same results.
I got a second test done because I couldn’t believe my diagnosis. My doctor tested me without symptoms/outbreaks. It was a test he suggested since I had never had been tested for HSV. I couldn’t believe it, because my boyfriend (now ex) of nearly three years tested negative for HSV 2. However, his University didn’t test him for HSV-1.
I’ve never experienced symptoms and outbreaks. At least nothing concerning that made me think I had herpes. I do have a large body count, so I don’t doubt that I have HSV. I do understand that I am asymptomatic. I also understand that my ex boyfriend testing negative is highly possible too.
My question to you is, considering I got two positives, is it worth it to seek a Western Blot? Is the cost worth it even after getting two positives?
I no doubt have HSV but some days I do contemplate whether I even have it or not. It is hard to accept it some days because I am asymptomatic and my ex tested negative despite all the unprotected sex we have had.
I wonder if maybe my ex gave me genital HSV-1 since he wasn’t tested for HSV-1. However, wouldn’t I come up positive for HSV-1 instead of HSV-2, if that were the case?
November 5, 2020 at 3:48 pm #71649Terri WarrenKeymaster
What you actually need is an IgG test that gives you an index value. Either Quest lab or LabCorp give a value. And in fact, it is possible in most cases for your provider to get those values from the lab. They won’t be able to if a test called an immunoblot was done, but that’s not the most common test used. I think you should not believe that you have HSV 2 until you either get an index value greater than 3.5 or a positive western blot. What do you mean that you have a large body count? I don’t understand that. The fact that your partner tests negative further suggests that you need a confirmatory western blot. Let me know what questions you have.
November 5, 2020 at 5:24 pm #71663
Do you know any reasons why I tested positive twice?
Also, I mean that I wouldn’t be surprised if I do have HSV-2, because I have slept with quite a few people before my recent ex boyfriend, as well have been cheated on many times.
I am not sure what kind of test was used but my doctor told me they aren’t able to provide any index values. Only qualitative results.
I have reached out to local health departments, but they deny me a test because I show no symptoms/outbreaks. I have been told many times to accept it.
I have also tried planned parenthood, but they don’t accept my insurance so I would be paying out of pocket. I figured if i were to pay 200$ out of pocket then I might as well go for a Western Blot.
My issue is that I can’t afford a WB right now. I am hoping to eventually get one soon once I save up enough money.
To get my blood drawn at Labcorp I need a physician’s order, can you provide that for me when I do purchase a WB?
November 8, 2020 at 11:33 am #71693Terri WarrenKeymaster
So you can order your own HSV 2 antibody test online without a clinician order. The cost is $65 at STDtest.com as an example.
Until then, I strongly suggest that you can an exact copy of the lab work that was done and see what it says.
If you decide to do the blot, then, yes, I can order it for you
November 27, 2020 at 7:10 pm #71906
I took your advice and ordered an HSV-2 specific antibody, IgG with reflex supplemental testing. I got my results back on Thursday. Here are my results: <0.91, Flagged as Normal, and reference range of 0.00-0.90. This insinuates that I am negative.
4.5 months ago I tested positive twice, but without IgG values as explain in the original post. My ex boyfriend of nearly three years tested negative. I also have never had symptoms and or outbreaks.
My nurse practitioner who tested has not responded to my messages. I’d like to know why I would test positive twice and now negative? Which results should I accept considering my situation so I can finally move forward. My OBGYN offered a fourth test and I’m not sure if I should take it considering it would probably be the same test they used twice before.
You must register to ask your own question or be logged in to reply to this question.