April 11, 2022 at 1:55 pm #77103
Fellow female nurse here and a hypochondriac. So I am in a bit of a messed up situation right now. About 3 weeks ago I had an sexual encounter with a new partner half protected and obviously the other half unprotected. I decided to do a comprehensive STD panel about 6 1/2 days after this encounter. My hsv 1/2 were both positive. Hsv 1 IGG was above 30 which I already knew about. My concern is about the index for HSV 2 IGG 1.6 only 6 and half days after encounter. Shortly after that I noticed vaginal burning, groin and armpit tenderness but no swelling. I have no vaginal irritation or visual outbreaks. Got tested again a week after so now 2 weeks in and the repeat value is 1.62.
I know that both test dates are way too soon but is it possible that this value at barely a week is coming from a new infection?
When do you recommend for me to retest?
Do antibodies produce fairly quickly once seroconversion has began or would I not notice much of a change within a week?
What are seroconversion symptoms actually without outbreaks because the internet is all over the place ?
Btw the encounter was with an African American male (statistically not in my favor) and he said he was negative last December and says he would be surprised if it was positive now. He hasn’t agreed to retest and wants to want on my results which has made it more frustrating.
Thank you in advance for your time. This has been the worst 3 weeks ever. The unknown might be worst than the virus.
April 17, 2022 at 7:40 am #77142
I think it is possible that this reflects a new infection but not very likely. The odds of getting HSV 2 at a single encounter that was somewhat protected are very low.
There are no symptoms of seroconversion itself – only symptoms of herpes which are usually sores in the genital area.
I’m sorry he won’t be tested – I think that is really awful and if I were you in this challenging situation, I would be tempted to tell him that you test positive and are considering legal action so if he wants to avoid this, he should document a negative test. It’s extreme, I know but what reasonable person would deny someone this information?
I would retest at 4 weeks ago and see what direction, if any, the IgG is going.
April 17, 2022 at 5:55 pm #77175
Thank you for your reply. I was also thinking of just telling him about my positive results and not leave anything up for interpretation. Anyways, I have left him be and I am trying to move forward and figure this out on my own. As of now I have no symptoms truly that are obvious. I am going to get tested again this upcoming week and see the IGG trend. If it goes up significantly I would just accept it is a new infection. If it stays as a low positive I will be tempted to do the western blot for reassurance.
April 17, 2022 at 5:58 pm #77177
I’m hopeful also! Small changes in the IgG test are not significant – we are looking now for big changes. Keep me updated.
April 20, 2022 at 1:22 am #77215
So I took your advice and retested at the 4 week mark as we were assuming if it’s a new infection I was making antibodies at week one.
Week 1 1.6
Week 2 1.62
Week 4 1.42
Should I continue monitoring the IGG trend if so when do you recommend retesting or should I wait the 12 week mark for the western blot? Thank you again for your help and guidance at this time. You’re an angel.
April 20, 2022 at 7:58 am #77237
Wait 12 weeks for the blot. Your index values are not changing, but indeed going in down direction if anything. I would bet a lot of money you are not infected.
April 27, 2022 at 9:02 am #77273
I renew subscription because I have a few new questions of course. You have provided me with some reassurance and I am grateful for that. Now I am on week 5 from my last encounter and I have notice some redness on my vulva and slight burning but only when I touch. I have obsessively been checking myself and doing constant research that has only built on my anxiety.
So my question is can I do the western blot any sooner than 12 weeks and then repeat again at the 12 week mark or will it tell me nothing?
Are herpetic rashes sometimes just redness with no lesions?
Thank you in advance! This has become an ugly obsession and I cannot wait to just know conclusively my results.
May 3, 2022 at 5:34 pm #77325
of course you can do the blot and repeat it! No problem with that.
Herpes could present as just a red area but so can many things. Ignore it and get the blot.
May 31, 2022 at 1:43 pm #77588
Update! Well not much as happened since you told me I can get the blot. So after I received the kit I sent it out to the university and it was lost in transit. Anyways, I tried to contact you through email when this happened but I didn’t realize you were sick. Hopefully you are having a speedy recovery.
So now we are in week 10 of post exposure. I’ve been having some vaginal irritation again but no noticeable ulcers or blisters. Noticed a few spots that burned when I touched it but it is really hard to tell because of the irritation. Still having shooting pains to the vagina. Now I am worried I have transferred hsv to my hands. I have 3 cuts on 2 different fingers and tingling to both my hands.
How likely is it to transfer HSV 2 to fingers and would the presentation be significant or can it just be a few cuts?
If I take the blot next week at 11 weeks would it be accurate enough?
How likely is it to go from equivocal to positive on the blot?
I’m starting to lose hope as weeks go on because either new symptoms present themselves or I’m going crazy and making it up. We will see which one it is soon I hope. Thanks again for all the help these last few weeks.
May 31, 2022 at 7:03 pm #77589
Just wanted to connect our email with this thread. I guess my blot was found and you sent me the results today. Positive hsv 1 negative for 2. This was at 8 and weeks post exposure. How likely is it to turn positive at 12 weeks? I don’t want to get my hopes up
June 7, 2022 at 1:31 pm #77642
I think it is unlikely to go from negative to positive at 12 weeks. Did you take any antiviral medication? If not, and given that I really didn’t think the symptoms were very consistent with HSV 2 new infection, perhaps you can let this go now.
You must register to ask your own question or be logged in to reply to this question.