› Forums › Herpes Questions › Yearning for a False Positive conclusion (male)
- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Terri Warren.
May 2, 2023 at 1:26 am #81470meowbroParticipant
Thank you for having this space for consultation. I’ve recently been diagnosed with herpes type 2 and wanted to ask if there is a strong possibility for false positive.
LIFETIME SEXUAL HISTORY (in chronological order)
1. 3 nights with a friend in college (fwb relationship). Used condom every time. Received oral without protection only the first night. She was NOT monogamous.
2. After four months I got tested and had negative results for 12 STD urinal PCR. Also got blood STD test that turned out negative. But do not know if they tested for herpes too (I assumed it did back then).
3. Dated my partner. Had active intercourse including oral, all without protection for about 5 months. It was her first time having sex and didn’t have any symptoms of herpes even 2~3 years later. So I assumed I was also perfectly fine.
4. Broke up later and recently in JANUARY had 2 nights spent with a friend. Did not use protection and also received oral. She said it was her first time. I’m only 60% sure of that.
-> Hoping to date my previous partner again and did a full check. Never had any blisters on penis. Do have sebaceous cyst (eye scanned by doc) and tickling on romance. Seemed to have them even before my first sex. Also experienced meralgia paresthetica on left thigh several times this year during sleep with a burning thigh sensation.
1. late February: 12 STD urine PCR all negative
2. late April: same as above but also got blood test that included HIV and Herpes
[scale: <20 negative; 20-25 borderline; >25 U/ml positive]
– Herpes lgM(1+2) negative: 3.8
– HSV type 1 lgG(S) negative: 4.3
– HSV type 2 lgG(S) POSITIVE: 34.5
1. On the above scale, is the 34.5 positive result significant? Or does it also go under 1.1-3.5 scale of possible false positive? Is it closer to 1.1 or 3.5? Would you recommend the blot?
2. Are my symptoms likely due to herpes 2?
3. Who do you think might have given me? The first female? Asking since I’m afraid of having infected others.
- This topic was modified 1 month ago by meowbro. Reason: to click the notify via email box
May 4, 2023 at 12:16 pm #81495Terri WarrenKeymaster
These values are not used in any test that I know about in the US. Are you outside the US?
According to their scale, this is a low positive and needs confirmation. And yes, I would recommend the blot. I don’t think your symptoms are due to herpes, no.
None of your sexual experience really sound like a risk to me, particularly if the last woman was indeed a virgin.
Where are you writing from?
You must register to ask your own question or be logged in to reply to this question.