Yes, you can consider yourself negative (unless you have had other sexual contacts since then that aren’t described in this post). At 2.5, you had about a 60% chance it was a true positive but a 40% chance it was not. You were in the 40%.
One of the hardest tasks that I have, both online and in person with my patients in the clinic, is to convince them that they do not have herpes after some sort of positive test – be it IgM and low positive IgG. People are pretty hard on themselves and when a positive comes up, they tend to think it is true particularly if they had some sort of sexual contact that was outside of their regular relationship. I don’t know that this was the case with you – just saying.
Good for you for pursuing this further and getting the answers that you needed. You can now take HSV 2 off your plate. Now in the future, when you begin a relationship, I think it would be best practice to get partners tested for everything, including herpes, before having sex with them so this period of worry won’t need to happen again.
I’m glad you wrote to me to confirm. You’ve got two more posts to make if you need further information.