1. This leaves me wondering if I will get an OB (and a month of symptoms)every time I start and then stop antivirals. It seems like taking them has wiped out my body’s own immune response and “control” of the virus (I hadn’t had OB for years prior to this). Any insight here?
2. Is the recommendation then to stay on meds forever? Is this safe?
My partner and I were comfortable with the odds previously of my having no recent OBs and taking meds for suppression. But now, over 3 weeks after the OB, I do not know if there is increased risk for him. There does not seem to be much info about post OB symptoms like this (that I could find). We have thus far abstained.
I do not feel there is increased risk for him at this time, over any other time.
3. Do you have a sense of if there would be increased viral shedding given the persistent tingling in my thigh?
I seriously doubt that you are shedding virus this entire time because you have tingling in your thigh.
4. With regards to risk of transmission, should we be treating these post OB symptoms like a OB and abstaining?
It has lasted so long that I doubt that it is due to viral shedding. This is especially true because you have had rare outbreaks while on suppression.
5. Can I do any testing to determine if there is shedding? Would PCR be appropriate here? My OBG NP would be open to working with me to get it done.
You could certainly do a PCR swap from the labia, vagina, and anus and see if they can recover virus. If your clinician is open to doing that, I think it would provide you with great reassurance if negative