› Forums › Herpes Questions › Husband tested positive for HSV-2 but seems low-risk › Reply To: Husband tested positive for HSV-2 but seems low-risk
He definitely needs a western blot. There is no other clarification that is going to help you at this point. Until the western blot is done and he knows his herpes status for certain, I would hesitate to address this issue with outside partners or have sex with them. At his value, there is a 60% chance he is positive and a 40% chance it is a false positive.
I don’t think it is correct that asymptomatic shedding is rare in a asymptomatic person. It is possible to be a couple of years and not transmit virus, but I’m also thinking, because you are negative, that this may well be a false positive.
The risks of acquiring HSV 2 from the oral sex encounters that you describe is quite low.
Our clinic can order the western blot for you at a Quest lab near where you live, if that is what you need.