Sorry for the delay, I have COVID
1. I am considering getting the Western Blott. Is it worth taking the test if we are going to continue having sex with one another?
Your HSV 1 is relatively high and I do believe that it will confirm by western blot but if you want to confirm with a blot, I’m good with that.
2. As long as we abstain from sex when either person has a cold sore, will it still transfer to the genitals?
Assuming you are truly positive, it is extremely unlikely that either of you will ever get genital HSV 1, unless you have it already. I am assuming you’ve never had a cold sore? HSV 1 can also be genital, you know. Have you ever had any genital lesions?
3. I am really afraid of this affecting me when I become pregnant. Am I more likely to experience an outbreak during pregnancy?
Pregnancy is immunosuppressive, so you could have an outbreak during the pregnancy, yes
4. The nurse told me that they don’t prescribe medication for HSV 1, is it necessary?
Not if you aren’t having symptoms, but since we don’t know where the infection is, you may want to consider daily antiviral medication during the last month or so in case this is genital. If you ever get a cold sore, that won’t be necessary.
5. I also feel really nasty and unsure. How can protect others around me? I felt so uncomfortable kissing my mother on the cheek the other day.he
About half the population has HSV 1 infection – most in the form of cold sores. I have it, my husband has it, two of my three kids have it. If you have a cold sore, don’t kiss people or give them oral sex. It’s pretty simple honestly. I think you are getting confused by the term “herpes”
6. How likely am I to have an outbreak since I have not had one?hat
hard to say, depending upon where it is. Remember that cold sores can show up anywhere on the face including in the nose. Think about it.