1. What risk do you think this presents?
2. Do you think there was some protection because of my Valtrex and outbreak stage?
If his finger skin were intact, this activity would have no risk to him. If the skin was broken in some way, the Valtrex and outbreak stage would have made transmission extremely unlikely
3. Can Valtrex cause you to not shed even though you have an outbreak?
No, not completely
4. How do I protect him with hand touching in the future? Wouldn’t there always be a potential for transmission into broken cuticles/thin skin even if I’m asymptomatic?
See above. The risk for him getting whitlow is very low indeed with you on Valtrex – even without, honestly.
5. Do you suggest testing for him?
well, not because of this finger contact, but it might be good to see if he is truly negative for HSV 2 from prior sexual partners.