1. If I date someone am I at risk of passing hsv1 to them orally if I’m not experiencing any symptoms?
HSV 1 can be transmitted to a partner when no sores are present, yes.
2. Am I at risk of spreading hsv1 genetically if I perform oral sex?
3. Two children (5 and 7) I have been around separately for long periods of time, have gotten cold sores. I did not share utensils, cups, or kiss them. Is there any chance I spread it to them? Or is this just coincidence? I’m very careful when I watch kids with hand washing etc and never sharing anything. Could it have spread through respiratory drops?
I don’t believe for a moment that you infected the children, no.
4. Do I have to disclose this when I date new partners? I haven’t been with anyone since my ex and am SO paranoid.
My rule of thumb is that someone with oral herpes should disclose that they have the cold sore virus prior to giving someone oral sex.
5. Would an antiviral be recommended to someone with my recurrent symptoms?
I would advise that you get the mouth sores swab tested for herpes when they come up. If they are positive, then consider suppressive therapy.