1. I know a test at 6 weeks is not conclusive, but realistically how should I feel about this result?
You should feel good – about 70% of those who are going to be positive for HSV 2 will be positive at 6 weeks out
2. The majority of my symptoms have disappeared, the only remaining are diarrhea and a “diaper rash” feeling in my anus. Is it possible that the burning/itching feelings I had were an outbreak? Is it concerning that this has stopped seemingly all at once and could indicate the end of an outbreak?
I doubt it.
3. I saw an infections disease specialist and he said that he did not think anything indicated sti, but thinks I may have gotten giardia from the sex, which would explain GI symptoms. Any thoughts on this before I take the antibiotics?
Nope, but I assume testing was done to determine whether you have giardia or not?
4. Would you recommend any additional testing prior to the 12 weeks mark?
5. You mentioned getting an anal pap. I am unfamiliar with this and haven’t found much online about it, outside of testing for HPV. Where would I get this done? Would this pick something up that would not be found via standard testing?
I’m not sure where you would get it done in your area, but yes, it would be for HPV
6. What are your thoughts on disclosure? I don’t plan on having sex, if I do it would obviously be protected, but do you feel I should tell someone about this experience if I do end up in an intimate situation?
I don’t think at this point you have anything to disclose.
7. The doctor I saw did not feel I needed any additional testing and told me I shouldn’t be concerned about sti any longer. Any thoughts on this?
If you were my patient, I would ask you to consider testing again for HSV at 12 weeks out.
8. How likely is it that I may have had an internal anal outbreak and not known it? I’ve been told that if I had herpes I would know it. But I am very unsure about this. I have seen studies indicating that many that have internal outbreaks don’t have external lesions. What are your thoughts?
I think if you had HSV internally, you would like also have lesions externally
9. I keep getting red bumps on my butt. They look the same as the ones I had initially swabbed, but I’m afraid I may have done so too late. Does herpes ever “come and go” similar to the way acne does? Any concerns about these bumps?
Not really, no