› Forums › Herpes Questions › Baby concerns › Reply To: Baby concerns
Thank you so much! I have some follow up questions:
1) My mom who has a history of cold sores kissed my baby in the back of the head and top of the head yesterday and today has woken up with a cold sore. What do you think the chance of transmission is here?
2) I have tried to be very diligent and strict on no kissing the baby rules but I come from a big loving family and everyone else kisses all the other babies so I don’t want to make my baby feel weird when he sees affection not toward him, is there a “safest” place to kiss babies? I am now on even higher alert since someone can just pop up with a cold sore the next day.
3) Are you always contagious days before outbreaks? Is that like a given? Or only a maybe?
4) If I believe an exposure has occurred, how many days after the exposure is he at risk of getting a cold sore, when can I stop worrying?
5) Say someone kisses him and nothing pops up for like a month or so, can something pop up years later? Or can I assume he’s in the clear?
6) If he does catch the virus will he catch it where the contact was or will it pop up anywhere? Like with a kiss to the head or cheek will it pop up there or manifest on his mouth?
Thank you so much!!