› Forums › Herpes Questions › Hair Salon and Herpes › Reply To: Hair Salon and Herpes
1. If I don’t have any cold sores am I contagious? I am asking because I have a dentist appointment and want to know if there is any risk of transmission. The dentist of course wears gloves, but will be in contact with my saliva.
Gloves are worn to prevent transmission of many things, including herpes. You can give off virus without symptoms but gloves will protect the dental office
2. Does oral HSV1 shed asymptomatically? If so, how does taking Valtrex impact that?
It depends upon the frequency of outbreaks. We know that people who have 6 or more outbreaks a year of oral herpes shed virus on about 1 out of every four days.
3. If I am feeling prodrome on my scalp, can the virus transmit to my hair stylist?
I don’t believe so, noht
4. If there is a sore on my scalp, can the virus transmit to my hair stylist?
if she touches it and has a break in the skin of her hand, yes
5. How does taking more milligrams of Valtrex impact transmission and suppression? In a previous answer to me, you mentioned taking 3 pills a day for a few days before hair appointment.
500 mg of Valtrex reduces transmission of genital infection. WE don’t know about oral infection