Forum Replies Created
Hi Terri, i am still unsettled over how to conduct my everyday life without feeling worry that i might infect a household member (esp kids) with hsv2. I fear that i might be infected with both ohsv2 & ghsv2.
In the context of me being a ohsv2 & ghsv2 carrier, I have several questions if u dont mind:
Q1. Have u seen a household member (kids) being infected with hsv2 (no sexual abuse)? OHSV2 to oral or via fomite?
Q2. You mentioned that viral shedding only occurs at shaft of penis, top of scrotum and anus. These areas are normally covered with clothes. Do i need to worry of viral shedding at other boxer areas like pubic hair, butt, upper thigh, butt cheek, etc. I just want to narrow down asymtomatic infected area.
Q3. Is the correct dose for supressive treatment is 500mg valtrex daily?
Q4. OHSV2- i dont do lip kisses with my kids, only on the cheek. If no OB, is it ok for kids to kiss my cheek or me kissing their cheek? Is this risky?
Q5. OHSV2- Sharing of washed cutlery and utensils, i reckon this is no risk?
Q6. OHSV2 & GHSV2 together- What are the household precautions? We dont share towel, wash clothes separately, sleep in diff room with ensuite bathroom, no sharing of food/drinks, sanitise door knobs/switches daily, wash hand often, no sharing of unwashed cutleries, etc.
Q7. Assuming if myself and kids are sweating heavily after a run and had skin contacts like hugging, holding hands or they sitting on my lap, is this risky?
Q8. Does low sugar diet help to reduce hsv activity?
Q9. What do you think of cure by Dr. Keith Jerome and mRNA vaccine by Dr. Harvey Friedman?
Q10. Personally, would you eat a salad/sushi prepared by a ohsv2 & ghsv2 carrier or perhaps someone that has recovered from herpetic whitlow?
Q11. I have eczema that sometimes flare up around the arm or fingers, am i at higher risk for other complication?
I am so sorry for asking so many questions, i do get panic attack whenever i think of the slightest chance of infecting my kids.
Update- Had swab done on genital lesion lately and pcr found hsv2 dna.
During my first recognised hsv2 genital outbreak, i was already in hospital for prolonged fever (39.8 cel) for 2/3 weeks+, difficuly swallowing, weight loss and painful throat ulcers. Upon endoscopy, doctor diagnosed me with pharyngitis, laryngitis, upper oesophagus ulcers & H.Pyori infection. No ulcer specimen were taken for hsv biopsy during endoscopy. I was treated with antibiotics and not antiviral.
Q1. Were the throat ulcers look something like hsv2 herpes esophagitis? I am neg- for hsv1 as per 2 recent igg test. A pcr oral/saliva swab also found no hsv1 and hsv2 dna (swab taken during non-outbreak). Never had a history of cold sores too.
Q2. If i were to give unprotected oral sex to and had vaginal sex with a hsv2 carrier (before being a hsv2 carrier myself), am i at risk of getting hsv2 both orally, genitally and at esophagus at the same time? I read that hsv2 has strong site preference to genital. I wonder if hsv2 enters the body at the same time via orally, at esophagus and genitally, would all sites be infected?
Q3. Does H.esophagitis transmit the same way as oral herpes? How does it spread in everyday life? What are the precaution to avoid transmission (especially to kids)?
Q4. I read that herpes virus hides at nerve behind the ears for H.Esophagitis. If so, does my saliva, tears, phelgm, nasal mucos or ears discharge contains hsv2 virus and therefore, a trasmission risk to others?
Q5. What is the recurrence rate for H.Esophagitis?
Q6. Is there a conclusive way to test for hsv2 oral/esophagitis in the absence of outbreak? What test approach can i take to rule out hsv2 H.Esophagitis and oral herpes?
Many thanks again for taking time to address my concerns. I am kinda adapting life with hsv2 genital herpes alrrady but it seems now that hsv2 oral/esophagus are probable too given my history with throat ulcers and genital outbreak – which occured at the same time.
Hi Terri, thanks for the good work. You are a lighthouse to many of lost ships here.
I am accepting that I have Hsv2 until proven otherwise. Meanwhile, preventing tranmission to my kids is of utmost priority now. Allow me to ask if following poses transmission risk:
1. How long does hsv2 virus lives outside human host? Some say few seconds while some literature say up to 8 hours, I am confused.
2. Does normal soap, water and sanitiser kills hsv2?
3. As for sanitiser, what is the optimum alcohol level to kill hsv2?
4. When wiping body after shower, I guess hsv2 is transferred to towel (after wiping genital) and then immediately wipe other body parts (say arm, hands, legs,hair, face, etc). Is that a transmission risk if my kids touch me (not genital of course) right after shower? Say they touch my arm or leg?
5. Also on Q4, does hsv2 lives/sustain on thick skin after shower? If yes, for how long? Is that considered as “outside of host”?
6. Does hsv2 virus appears in the following and do they poses transmission risk:
– tears (i hug and cried with them)
– saliva (food & utensils sharing)
– sweat (is workout with kids a transmission risk? And should i stop going to gym to protect other gym go-ers?)
– sneezing (air transmission is unheard of, appreciate your confirmation as i do have regular cold)
– sharing bedsheet/washing machine?
7. Would hsv2 causes infection in other body parts, say eye or lips?
8. Does hsv2 virus strictly confined to boxer area only, both when lesion & viral shedding?
9. I know this sounds silly, but will hsv2 presents on other body part (outside boxer area) such as palm, arm or shoulder? Need to be sure so I know to only wash hands after touching genital area. Also, because I am a sushi chef so I need to prevent transmission to my customers too.
10. During viral shedding/lesion, would the virus “escape” through the clothing (boxer/pants) and land on bedsheet/sofa? Is this a tranmission risk?
Thanks a lot Terri.
Hi Terri, thanks for your kind reply. I couldn’t fathom that 2 igg & 1 igm missed hsv2.
1. Can you let me know if you can arrange for a WB test for me & the paperwork needed to import blood sample into US? I will get my blood drawn and spin here. I need to be certain.
2. How do i know if my next ob is triggered by hsv2? Say if it is caused by bacteria, would swab for pcr finds hsv2 dna?
3. Can i possibly self trigger blister for pcr swab?
4. Have you seen a spike of antibodies from 14.4 to 118 in matter of few days? And have you seen a reading of 118 or more before?
5. Viral shedding – does research indicated where viral shedding usually occurs? Shaft only or the entire boxer area?
6. Also, you missed the question on family interaction. How hsv2 going to impact everyday life interaction with my children. I know there is a bunch of literature out there but i wish to hear from an experienced people like you. Is there a golden rule i need to live by? The dos and donts? My hands are literally burned by frequest washing, sanitising & bleach washing communal areas & this is very stressful. That is only 1 momth so far.
Please help on WB in particular.
Hi Terri, wondering if you have seen my post yet. Apology as I am getting anxious, thanks.
Hi Terri, just to add on.
1. Myself and gf never use condom and we only have unprotected intercourse since we started in Aug2019, so if either one of us has hsv, she would have been tested positive in her Dec2020 IgG test. But she was cleared from both hsv in Dec2020, both IgG and IgM were tested.
2. GF test report update (June2021)
– IgG blood test came back negative for hsv1 and positive for hsv2 (index value 9.0).
– BUT a PCR swab for both oral, cervix and genital tested negative for both hsv. Reckon that this extensive PCR swab test is more reliable thab IgG? Pls advise.
How is this possible? Again, reminding you that we had not slept with anyone else since Aug2019 – we are certain on this. So the source of transmission is actually nil in our understanding. We strongly believe that some unknown protein is skewing our results big time.
Nonetheless, we both were tested positive for 1 or 2 strains of HPV, mixture od HR/LR strain. Would this potentially skew IgG hsv2 test? Should i re-do IgG hsv test again and if yes, how long do I need to wait? After her test, we both started 1st dose of Gardasil 9.
Also, I found a hospital in Singapore that seems to provide WB for Hsv, link below:
Can you advise if this is the same/at-par with University of Washington’s WB?
Many thanks Terri.
3 june 21 – i did RT-PCR on (not on any antiviral meds):
A. Swab on whole genital, including pubic area, opening of urethra and the healing blisters which i popped around 26/27 May.
B. Oral swab.
(Both swab results came back negative for both hsv).
Current – Gf did same RT-PCR test and awaiting results.
Apart from above painless blisters, I have never had any outbreak nor lesion on shaft, scrotum nor anal.
Q1: Why the spike in antibodies between 2 igg test, which was done few days apart?
Q2: Possible false positive for all igg test given the low prevalence of hsv2 in Singapore & also potential cross reactivity? I was tested negative before we started, and gf was tested negative too in Dec20. We did not sleep with anyone else since we started, no question on this.
Q3: If indeed false positive, will igg test turn negative in some months?
Q4: RT-PCR tested me negative, is that conclusive? Is further confirmatory testing needed? My urologist said its at least 90% conclusive.
Q5: Have you seen IGG false positive but PCR real negative cases before?
Q6: I live with my young kids, and i cook for them, bath them, sleep them, feed them, hug them, play with them, sharing food, utentils, washing machine, sharing bathroom, etc & basically all the close contacts every caring parent will do. Will i spread hsv2 to them (if +) and what are the things i need to do to prevent transmission?
Apology for the long text, hope they are helpful for you to guide me. Many thanks.